How Ojougboh, 4 others died watching Super Eagles/Bafana AFCON semi-final match

No fewer than four persons died, Wednesday night while watching the semi-final match between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and Bafana Bafana of South Africa, in the ongoing African Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Cote D’Ivoire.

They include a chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh; Deputy Bursar, Kwara State University, Malete, Ayuba Abdullahi, and a corps member serving in Adamawa State, simply identified as Samuel.

Anambra-born businessman, Osondu Nwoye, based in Cote d’Ivoire, was also reported to have collapsed inside the stadium, while watching the match and died later in hospital.

But experts said excitement could cause sudden death if there was an underlying health condition.
Recall that the Super Eagles won the match 4—2, in a penalty shoot-out.

It was learned that Ojougboh, an erstwhile member representing the Ika Federal Constituency of Delta State in the House of Representatives and former Executive Director, of Projects, on the Interim Management Committee, IMC, of Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, reportedly slumed in his house in Abuja, while watching the match.

Sources said the outspoken politician slumped, when a penalty kick was awarded against Nigeria during the match, which gave the South Africans an equaliser, as Nigeria had earlier taken the lead in the match.
He was said to have suffered a heart attack and was confirmed dead at a hospital he was rushed to.

Kwara varsity deputy bursar dies watching Super Eagles AFCON semi-finals.

Similarly, the Deputy Bursar of Kwara State University Malete, Alhaji Ayuba Abdullahi, also died while watching the match.

Sources close to the deceased who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Abdullahi went to a viewing centre in Sango area before he started feeling unease.

One of the sources said: “The deputy bursar watched the Nigeria/South Africa match from the beginning till the end of the extra time, and continued till it was time for penalty kicks.

“He complained that he was feeling dizzy, so he said he needed to go back home and rest, not knowing that his BP had gone up.

“On getting home, he collapsed and was rushed to a private hospital in Sango where he was referred to the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital but died before he could be attended to.

He was buried yesterday morning, according to Islamic rites.”

Corps member dies watching Super Eagles’ semi-finals penalty shoot-out

Also, a member of the National Youth Service Corps serving in Adamawa State, simply identified as Samuel, also died during the penalty shootouts of the match.

The corps member from Kaduna State, allegedly passed away just before the final kick which secured Nigeria’s win in the match.

A post by the NYSC read: “We lost one Nigerian during our victory celebration over South Africa at our sports viewing centre here in Numan.

“The corps member who is serving in Numan from Kaduna State fainted before the kick of the winning goal.
“He died before they could reach the hospital in Numan. May his soul rest in peace.”

Anambra-born billionaire allegedly dies in Ivory Coast stadium watching Super Eagles

It was also reported that Anambra-born businessman, Chief Osondu Nwoye, based in Cote D’Ivoire also died while watching the match in the stadium.

Nwoye was said to be the richest Igbo businessman based in Ivory Coast before his death.

A Facebook user, Chukwudi Iwuchukwu, in a post yesterday, quoted a witness as saying that Nwoye was on top of the moon, shouting at the top of his voice when Nigerian striker, Victor Osihmen, scored the second goal which was later cancelled by the Video Assistant Referee, VAR.

It was alleged that the shock of seeing the goal cancelled and a penalty awarded to South Africa was too much to bear for his fragile heart, leading to his collapse inside the stadium.

Sales Rep dies watching match in Ogun

Also in Ogun State, a sales representative with one of the multi-national manufacturing companies in Nigeria, Nestle, died watching the match in Abeokuta.

The 43-year-old man, identified as Mikail Osundiji, allegedly died as a result of shock after the centre referee cancelled the Nigeria’s second goal against South Africa, scored by striker Victor Osimhen, and awarded a penalty against the Super Eagles.

It was gathered that the late Osun State-born Osundiji, a father of two, did not show any sign of sickness prior the football encounter which he watched at a football viewing center at the Federal Housing Estate, Olomoore, Abeokuta.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *